Cara Mahon, Pharmacist; Darlene Mechtenberg, RN, Infection Control/Employee Health — Murray County Medical Center
With influenza (flu) season rapidly approaching and several local and national confirmed cases, it’s our job and passion to ensure the community understands the importance of getting the flu vaccine.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the 2017-2018 flu (influenza) season was considered high severity. There were 180 children who died and 80% of those children were not vaccinated.
So, what can you do to help keep your family, friends, and community stay safe this year?
The CDC and medical staff here at Murray County Medical Center recommend all patients receive an annual flu vaccine. In fact, the CDC recommends all individuals receive the flu vaccine by the end of October. It can take up to two weeks to develop an immunity to influenza after receiving the vaccine, so the sooner you vaccinate the better! And, have peace of mind that you are protected with preservative free flu shots here at MCMC.
Three reasons why the flu vaccine is so important:
- Besides protecting yourself and your family, infants under 6 months old cannot receive the flu vaccine and often do not have a strong immune system.
- Babies rely on their caregivers, family and the community to get the vaccine which, in turn, reduces their risk of exposure to the virus.
- The influenza virus can spread from person to person up to two days before an individual shows signs or symptoms.
- So, you could potentially get infected with the virus from someone else before they know they have it. Then you could infect others before you know you have it, and so on.
- You might hear that the flu shot causes people to get the flu.
- However, the flu vaccine is made up of an inactive, weakened virus that does not cause the flu.
It takes 5 minutes to get your annual flu shot. One shot can ensure you see your grandchildren over the holidays, do not miss days or potentially a week of work and keep you and your loved ones safe. Vaccinate yourself and protect your loved ones. Get your annual flu vaccine today!
MCMC Flu Shot Costs/Dosage:
- Regular Dose: $25
- High Dose: $45
*Flu vaccines are billed through insurance or can be paid at the time of your visit.
Flu Shots are available during clinic hours:
- Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 5 PM
- Saturday, 8 AM – 12 PM
Walk-ins are welcome at MCMC. Pediatric doses are also available.