It is sad butt true, age 50 marks that magical age when we begin to hound our patients to get a colonoscopy. You know, the test where you do the dreaded prep to get your insides squeaky clean and then we view your rectum and colon with a camera on a tube (don’t worry we give you drugs so you won’t remember). Trust us, we do not recommend this test to torture you, but rather to detect colon cancer early and potentially save your life!
- 3rd most common cancer diagnosed in both men and women
- Approximately 101,420 NEW cases of colon cancer EACH year
- Approximately 44,180 NEW cases of rectal cancer EACH year
- Lifetime risk is 1 in 22 men and 1 in 24 women
- 3rd leading cause of cancer related deaths
The good news is this: deaths rates from colorectal cancer have been dropping and we can thank the colonoscopy and other screening methods for detecting this deadly disease early!
If 50 is the new 30, then screening is more important than ever! Call Murray County Medical Center today at 507.836.6153 to discuss this important screening topic with me or another healthcare provider! There is no need to sweat a long drive, parking drama or anything in between. MCMC’s Internist and Colonoscopy Doctor, Dr. Snow, and his amazing medical team have you covered!