A referral is required from a primary health care provider or specialist to be seen by our Respiratory Care team. To schedule a referred appointment, please call our Respiratory Therapy Department at: 507.836.1234.
Lung disease is the #3 killer in the United States and responsible for 1 in 6 deaths. More than 33 million people suffer from chronic lung disease.
What is Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
Cardiac Rehab requires a complete medical history and brief physical exam. Patients are connected to telemetry during each session. An individualized exercise program will be developed to assist you in regaining strength and endurance.
Pulmonary Rehab is designed for those who experience lung conditions such as:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic bronchitis
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Interstitial lung disease
- Lung volume reduction surgery
- Lung transplantation – before and after
Benefits of Pulmonary Rehabilitation:
Pulmonary rehabilitation helps improve your quality of life. Although pulmonary rehabilitation (PR) cannot cure lung disease, it can be of great benefit and may help you manage daily activities with less shortness of breath. Pulmonary rehabilitation also provides an opportunity to meet and exercise with other patients that may have similar symptoms and conditions.
Other Benefits May Include:
- Decrease the symptoms of lung disease or condition
- Ability to function better in your daily life
- Increased ability to exercise
- Decreased symptoms and better management of anxiety and depression
What Happens During Pulmonary Rehab?
Each participant will be monitored and supervised by a Respiratory Therapist. A specific exercise plan will be tailored to meet each person’s needs. Sessions also include educational programs which may include:
- Diet, nutrition and weight management
- Understanding and using oxygen therapy
- Breathing retraining
- Importance of exercise
- Strategies for maintaining breathing conditions
- Symptom assessment and knowledge about when to seek medical treatment
- Medications, including drug action, side effects, using an inhaler, and self-care techniques
Pulmonary Rehab Therapy Hours:
- Monday – Friday
- 7:00 am – 7:30 pm