Early Detection is the Best Protection.
Breast cancer is the most common kind of cancer in women after skin cancer. About 1 in 8 women in the United States will get breast cancer at some point. However, when breast cancer is found and treated early, most women survive.
What is a mammogram?
A mammogram is a digital x-ray picture, a screening tool used to examine the health of a woman’s breast.
What is a screening mammogram vs. a diagnostic mammogram?
A screening mammogram detects breast cancer or abnormalities in women or men with no symptoms. You or your provider will request a diagnostic mammogram after a screening mammogram reveals abnormal results or when physical symptoms prompt the need for more information.
What types of breast screenings do we offer at MCMC?
- 2D Mammography is a two-dimensional picture of the breast.
- 3D Mammography is also known as tomosynthesis. This newer technology creates a three-dimensional view of the breast by capturing multiple images. 3D and 2D mammography are used together. Patients with dense breast tissue benefit more from 3D compared to 2D mammograms.
- Breast Ultrasound
What age and how often should you get screened?
The American Cancer Society (ACS) states:
- Beginning at age 40 women at average risk may begin annual mammogram screenings
- Women ages 45-54 should have a mammogram yearly
- Women age 55+ can continue annual exams or bi-annual exams.
What are the recommendations on annual breast exams and self exams?
American Cancer Society research indicates no extra benefit to either clinical or self-breast exams when annual screening mammograms are completed. So, in short, they are not recommended. However, self awareness is important—know how your breasts look and feel. If you notice any changes, contact your health provider.
Women's Annual Exam
We recommend all women, at any age, receive an annual health maintenance exam. You can discuss any health concerns and ask questions about breast cancer prevention at your annual appointment.
Schedule Your Breast Screening/Mammogram
We are open Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 4:30 PM. Please call 507.836.1294 to schedule your mammogram today!