Murray County Medical Center (MCMC) is thrilled to have recently earned the 2020 Emergency Care award for America’s Best Hospital™ in the United States by the Women’s Choice Awards®.
Murray County Medical Center received an 85% Patient Recommendation for Emergency Care based on a variety of criteria that includes clinical performance, patient satisfaction and appropriate accreditations. From a nationwide landscape, MCMC ranked in the top 2% of 4,191 hospitals that were evaluated for this 2020 Emergency Care award.
“Murray County Medical Center’s Emergency Department is thrilled to receive recognition for the outstanding emergency care they provide for this community,” stated Emmie Lolkus, RN and Assistant Director of Nursing at MCMC. “MCMC is deeply dedicated to this community and ensuring every person that walks through our doors are treated with quality care and compassion.”
About America’s Best Hospitals for Emergency Care
The America’s Best Hospitals for Emergency Care are hospitals that consistently rank among the best of the 4,191 hospitals reporting on the performance of their respective Emergency Departments. They are judged on the following Emergency Department performance measures reported by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS):
- Average number of minutes before outpatients with chest pain or possible heart attack got an ECG,
- Average time patients spent in the Emergency Department, before they were admitted to the hospital as an inpatient,
- Average time patients spent in the Emergency Department before they were seen by a healthcare professional,
- Average time patients spent waiting in the Emergency Department, after the doctor decided to admit them as an inpatient, but before leaving the Emergency Department for their inpatient room,
- Average time patients spent in the Emergency Department before being sent home,
- Average time patients who came to the Emergency Department with broken bones had to wait before receiving pain medication,
- Percentage of patients who came to the Emergency Department with stroke symptoms who received brain scan results within 45 minutes of arrival,
- Percentage of patients who left the Emergency Department before being seen.
Each of the measures indicated above were weighted according to a survey of over 1,000 women on their relative priority, and listed above in order of importance. In addition, hospitals that fell within the bottom 25th percentile for patient recommendation scores were eliminated from consideration for the award.
For each Emergency Department measure, the top 25th percentile and the top 50th percentile are determined for all hospitals reporting the measure. Hospitals that ranked in the top 25% nationwide for a measure received points according to the measure’s relative importance. Hospitals that ranked between 25% and 50% received half points. Points were then totaled for all measures, per hospital. In addition to their score, selected hospitals were then given a numerical score based on their patient recommendation rating from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ (CMS) and Hospital Consumer Assessment for Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS). Hospitals that received above the national average on HCAHPS survey and with total scores that placed them in the top 10% nationally, earned the Women’s Choice Award.
About Murray County Medical Center
Located in Slayton, Minnesota, Murray County Medical Center, an Acute Stroke Ready Hospital, is a rural health clinic, 25-bed critical access hospital and emergency department that provides many in-house services, outreach services and is managed by Sanford Health in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. For more information or to make an appointment please call 507-836-6111 or visit murraycountymed.org.
ABOUT THE WOMEN’S CHOICE AWARD®
The Women’s Choice Award for America’s Best Hospitals™ is a coveted credential that identifies the nation’s best hospitals based on robust criteria that includes relevant clinical performance, patient satisfaction and appropriate accreditations. The Women’s Choice Award® is a trusted referral source, empowering women to make smart healthcare choices by identifying the country’s best healthcare institutions. Visit http://www.womenschoiceaward.com/ to learn more.